Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

A Wedding

The Bride and the Groom 
                                                           The Starter, a night before the actual wedding

Nobody can be sure about the electricity in Nepal, when it comes or when it goes..........so preparations have to be made for the alternatives.




What is a wedding without wine? What is wine without merriment and company? What is a life without a wife?




This is not Ratyauli but it's modified form. As far as I know, Ratyauli as a tradition is becoming extinct in Nepal. When I was a small child, I used to wonder what a Ratyauli really was and guessed it to be some sort of game where only women were allowed. We we never allowed to be present near a Ratyauli so we never knew until one night.....................................................Ratyauli, for your information, is a secret game that usually has female participants and is held at the bridegroom's home as they wait for the groom to arrive with the bride. I would have never known what it was if I hadn't happened to be at a Ratyauli accidentally.
Hoping to find my friends at the marriage place, I had ventured to that place completely unaware that something ritualistic was going on there. I saw ladies wearing men's clothes and ladies wearing ladies clothes, they were fondling each others private parts and the men ones had long wooden sticks which they hung with their hands out of their groins, replicating the penises of the men. The men would chase the women with the sticks erected in front of them and the ladies would flee giggling and getting hysteric. So when one of the men saw me there, she came towards me with her sexual thing erected.....................I ran like hell....yeah I did....I wasn't afraid that I would be raped by the excited woman but she was in such a rush when she saw me that if her sexual thing got me then I would be seriously bruised.... That was how I knew what a Ratyauli really meant and why our elders had forever stopped us from going around a place where Ratyauli was happening.
These days we don't hear much about Ratyauli, maybe nobody likes it or maybe they just dance to some Bollywood music and shake their bodies to throw away all their sexual fantasies.............I cant tell you know, I'm not a sociologist or a socio-psychologist. But I am sure if it would have been followed, we would have two advantages. One, we could boast about another of our cultural heritage ; another, our women would have a time to have fun and catharsis of the underlying pain in how their husbands ride on them and how stupid men are in love games............................................. 


No comments:

You may also like