Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Pheasant - A Recipe for its Titey

Pheasant (Cheer Kalij)
Pheasant found in Nepal
Pheasant meat?  It's A-w-e-s-o-m-e!
If you have never tasted pheasant meat then consider yourself unlucky, contrary to me who had been hunting pheasants for years but never tasted it. Why? Obviously because I was a vegetarian!:p

I broke my ten year long vow of vegetarianism because of the taste my buds felt one night. Hungry and tired, we were back home that night, jubilant after having shot three pheasants. Boys were discussing frantically as to what culinary methods should be applied for those pheasants, one male and two females.
If you are acquainted with pheasant meat, then you sure have noticed that meat from a male pheasant is usually tough and female pheasants are t-e-n-d-e-r.:D The older the pheasants are, the tougher their meat tends to be.

So that night, we decided to prepare Titey ( pronounced /tIte/ ), an age old process of preparing fowls. The acknowledgements for the cuisine goes to the indigenous people of the Republic of Nepal. I am not sure whether any country has its people preparing Titey like we do in Nepal. If Titey is the unique taste of Nepal, then I gotta be proud!:)


Though our hunting process was different from the tricks of the indigenous people (click here to read their trick), and we didn't even set up snares ( read how it's done)..... we had bagged three within an hour using this method. The night was cold and my tummy was shrunk, so I thought whatever issues my conscience might face afterwards, I decided to taste this Titey.

The recipe is quite simple.
  • Burn a blazing fire.
  • Burn the pheasant over the flames so that all its feathers get burnt.
  • When the burning process reaches the semiplumes and the filoplumes ( the softer feathers near to the skin), they are scrubbed down into a bowl.
  • Remember, the larger feathers go to the garbage disposal can whereas the softer feathers go into a bowl.
  • Then the little black cinders which fall off the skin of the pheasant is mixed with rice for cooking.
  • Mix the properly washed entrails of the pheasant, little leg pieces and the crushed head with the rice.
  • Prepare the rice as to your taste. A bit watery rice (broth) is considered the best while preparing Titey but fluffy rice is equally good.
  • Serve it hot.
And I tasted the first meat after ten years, it was ......aWeSomE! I felt a bit guilty at first, something like nausea, but the hunger won. After the first spoon combined with a little bit of guilt, I never had to look back. It was simply too delicious to make a vow against and too tempting for a vow to keep.

The roast meat from the pheasant tasted like heaven! Then only I understood the meaning of the sweat we bled in those darkened forests...........under the bushes with a million thorns.

No comments:

You may also like